May 2, 2011
In news that has led to celebrations in most of the world and despair in some, Osama Bin Laden, the dreaded “chief death eater” was killed on Sunday by US forces in the Pakistani town of Abbotabad, which is about 90 Km from the capital Islamabad.
Meanwhile, the popular spoof twitter handle of Lord Voldemort @Lord_Voldemort7 tweeted this:
If you’re wondering about the analogy with the fictional Lord Voldemort from the Harry Potter series, read on:
Similarities between Osama and Voldemort
- Voldemort hated muggles and wanted them killed. Osama hated Kaafirs (non-believers) and wanted them forcefully converted or killed.
- Killing was a fun pastime for both of them, particularly those who were either muggles/kaafirs or those who did not agree with them or refused to support them.
- Both had quite a small number of dedicated followers and sympathisers, ready to die for their respective causes. While Voldemort rallied the death eaters for the cause of pure bloods, Osama Bin Laden rallied them around the concept of Wahabi Islam (the most intolerant version of the religion).
- Voldemort and Osama used terror tactics to scare the majority and try and get them into submission to their respective agendas. Killings and disappearances were the hallmarks of their reign.
- Both Osama and Voldemort were scared of death, though they wouldn’t mind their death eaters/followers dying to save them or even kill their own followers if it suited them.
- Those who live by the gun (wand in Volemort’s case) die by the gun. Both had a violent death proving this adage. Also both were killed on the same day – May 1 (as of the date in UK at the time of their deaths)!
However there were some crucial differences between the two.
Differences between Osama Bin Laden and Lord Voldemort
- Osama glorified martyrdom and death to his followers, selling the USP that if they were killed while battling the kaafirs/doing jehad they would get 72 virgins in heaven. Voldemort never glorified or sold the virtues of death to his followers..heck they were called death eaters, they were supposed to kill and not get killed…unless Voldemort intended it of course.
- Though Voldemort was narrow-minded towards muggles and mixed-bloods, he had no problem with mixing of the sexes and women were treated equally in his ranks. In fact Bellatrix Lestrange was his most powerful and closest to him among the death eaters. Osama on the other hand considered women to be inferior human beings and was intolerant towards their freedom.
There, you got six major similarities and two major differences between Osama Bin laden and Lord Voldemort. That makes the total to seven – the most powerful magical number! Oops, it actually makes them 8 points – I made the eighth point without realizing just like Voldemort made the eighth horcrux!
What do you think of this comparison between Osama Bin Laden and Voldemort? Feel free to add to the list of similarities and differences between the two global terrorists in the comments section.